Friday 9 July 2010

Oooooh mama!

After 6 hour-long practices, tonight we had our first hour-and-a-half. And boy, am I feeling it! It was brilliant though, and I definitely feel like I got a chance to challenge myself at things I hadn't tried before (some more successfully than others). The number of status updates from the team proclaiming love for derby tonight (with many an exclamation mark) suggests I am not alone.

In Mong's group, we did our first ever mini-jams, taking it in turn to be jammer, and learning how to block. You know how it looks tough? It's even tougher than that. As final jammer, I didn't even get through the pack once, but I did get up each time I was taken down, which I'm going to hold as a mini-victory over, well... just staying there and having a sit-down, which believe me, was super-tempting.

We also did some speed trials, timing ourselves doing one lap around the track. I was pleased with my time - 14.34 seconds, which ranked seventh (yes, I'm incredibly competitive. I'm working on it) - but above all it was interesting to see the styles of those with the quickest times: the quickest leg movements (ARGH! QUICK INTERLUDE TO GET A MASSIVE SPIDER OFF MY SHIRT) didn't equate to the quickest times; in fact the smoother and longer the strides, the quicker the lap. Something to work on, particularly as I don't exactly have leg-length on my side. Special congrats to the six girls who beat me: The Valkyrie, Bibi Dahl, Stef and Emma (get some skate names!)Squirrel Nut U and The Duchess, all of whom were exemplary skaters (and who blatantly cheated. Honestly, I'm working on it)!

Wish I could update you on Bel's group as well, but I was a bit busy having my arse handed to me on a plate to look over too often. If anyone wants to give us a run-down of what you worked on tonight in the comments, that'd be ace, as I know there's some awesome progress being made.

We were also lucky enough to have tonight's practice documented by Mr X Stitch, whose photos should up soon - when I have them, you'll have them (minus the hideous ones of me that I will understandably censor from your delicate eyes). Thanks to him, to Brodie Gnarl, who rescued Ninja Myrtle and I after Ninja's car failed its MOT, and also to Cer', who gave me a lift to the pub after practice, followed by an impeccably English lift home after the pub, adrenaline-free. :P

Next up, Sunday's roller disco, with the potential of how-many-laps-can-you-do-in-5-minutes practice as well. Two-and-a-half-hours of skatey goodness. Gold.


To do list:


- Get a new mouthguard that doesn't make me want to hurl
- Work on having a longer stride - beat my personal best lap time (and a couple of the other girls', obviously :P)
- Get a practice session in between Sunday's roller disco and Friday's training
- Learn how to actually stop on a surface other than my kitchen tiles, or no-one will believe me.
- Be less competitive/channel competitiveness into self-improvement (probably more achievable!)


Signing off!

Claudia Faceoff

(Rawr! -for Cer')

No comments:

Post a Comment